In collaboration with research organizations Far-UV Sterilray™ is currently investigating and confirming the 222-nm photo-disinfection devices used in the studies does not cause chronic skin disorders (skin cancer) and acute and chronic eye disorders. Far-UV Sterilray™ is continuing the collaborative research on the Safe Far-UV Sterilray™ in order to commercialize it for use in surgical field disinfection and sterilization during orthopedic surgery. In non-medical fields, Far-UV Sterilray™ aims to commercialize the Safe Far-UV Sterilray™ for use in HVAC systems, infection prevention at nursing homes, food processing facilities, airports, autonomous cars, airplanes, passenger ships, cannabis locations and residential HVAC applications. Far-UV Sterilray™ devices will contribute to the realization of a safe and healthy society using our patented excimer lamp technology.
Various surgical operations are performed worldwide, but there is a risk of infection after surgery, one of the most serious surgical complications. If infection occurs, it may worsen the conditions of patients and even cause death. When 222-nm Far-UV Sterilray™ light disinfection becomes available for disinfecting operating rooms and surgical sites, it will help prevent the onset of infection after surgery, providing patients with safer surgical treatment.
Far-UV Sterilray™ was the first in the world, to destroy resident skin bacteria by directly photo-disinfecting normal human skin with 222-nm light at 5,200 mJ/cm2 without causing erythema as a sign of acute injury.
In the destruction of drug-resistant bacteria, 254-nm UVC light has been used more frequently than light of other wavelengths. However, since direct irradiation of 254-nm UVC light to the human body at 10 mJ/cm2 causes sunburn-like skin redness (erythema) a sign of acute skin injury, direct UVC irradiation to the human body was considered to be harmful. Far-UV Sterilray™ was the first to discover that 222-nm light when applied to skin at an extremely high photo-disinfection dose of 5,200 mJ/cm2, did not cause acute skin injury. This finding suggest that 222nm light has a great potential in applications for UV sterilization and disinfection in medical and non-medical fields. Far-UV Sterilray™ has shown that this wavelength can destroy all pathogens, including C. diff spores, in seconds at a dose of 100 mJ/cm2 or less. (see below)
Our research, since 2005, has shown a tremendous potential for 222-nm Far-UV Sterilray™ light in disinfecting surgical sites, a major topic in surgical treatment. It also provided evidence for application of 222-nm Far-UV Sterilray™ light for other main targets: hand disinfection, and disinfection in occupied spaces. We will promote the commercialization of 222-nm Far-UV Sterilray™ light in both medical and non-medical fields.
The FAR-UV Sterilray™ GermBuster-Air HVAC lamps eliminate 99.98% of the world’s most harmful bacteria, viruses, and spores at 10,000 cfm in an airstream in a single pass by the lamp. GermBuster-Air is changing the world of HVAC air-handling installations through its groundbreaking use of Far-UV Sterilray™ Technology with unmatched speed, convenience and effectiveness. (see below)
99.99% “Kill-on-the-Fly” reduction achieved in a single pass in a duct system with full power Far-UV Sterilray lamps. UVC achieved less than 1%. LMS Labs, Minneapolis, MN
This technology has the following potential uses:
- Disinfection of surgical sites during surgery.
- Treatment of infected chronic wounds.
- Minimization of the transmission (airborne or contact infection) of avian influenza virus (H1N1), severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), dengue virus, and Ebola virus.
- Far-UV Sterilray™ devices for hand disinfection.
- Increased shelf-life of various vegetables.
- Additional disinfection function of hand dryers or other devices.
- Sterilization of spore-forming bacteria and noroviruses.
- Clean environment for cannabis grow rooms and facilities.
- Infection prevention for hospitals, airplanes, passenger ships, airports, food processing facilities, etc.
What is narrow band-spectrum excimer 222nm technology?
The 222-nm Far-UV Sterilray™ device uses a patented excimer lamp that does not emit any dangerous wavelengths of 230 nm or longer. The photon energy emitted from the Far-UV Sterilray™ device penetrate and destroys bacteria. Meanwhile, at the cellular level, the photons do not penetrate into human cell nuclei at the tissue level. Photons are absorbed by the stratum corneum of the skin and does not penetrate into epidermal cells. Far-UV Sterilray™ devices have been shown to dramatically reduce biological damage of human cells when compared to conventional ultraviolet lamps, while keeping the advantages of disinfection.
The method of using light with wavelengths below 230nm to disinfect without skin and eye damage was discovered by Ed Neister in 2005. Ed’s company, Pathogen Path Consulting LLC, has filed and received multiple patents for surface, air, liquid, skin and eye disinfection for all 222nm devices.
Skin disinfection has been evaluated in animals by multiple parties including Doctor Dai at Massachusetts General Hospital; the results demonstrated the bacterial reduction effects of the method and its safety. At the National University of Singapore, a clinical study is ongoing to evaluate the efficacy of the method for disinfection of chronic wounds.
Benefits & Advantages of Far-UV Sterilray™ Lamps:
- Lamp life exceeds 20,000 hours. (2 years!)
- Lamp does not contain mercury or other dangerous materials.
- Dry, chemical-free disinfection.
- Green Clean – environmentally friendly.
- Produces high-level disinfection of room air.
- Far-UV Sterilray™ produces up to 1000 times greater destruction than any other UVC sources.
- These Far-UV Sterilray™ Lamps have been engineered so as not to produce ozone.
- One Far-UV Sterilray™ lamp replaces up to 20 UV-C bulbs.
- Far-UV Sterilray™ lamps effectively disinfects the air.
- Rugged construction withstands harsh HVAC environments.
- Lamp is not affected by temperature or humidity.
- There are no electrodes to wear out.
- Power level is adjustable.